For many years, smoothies have been my go-to method for getting fruits, vegetable, and protein into my diet. When I was younger, I had no idea that vegetables such as spinach and avocados could be added to a smoothie without compromising the sweet taste! Today, I thought it would be fun to share my favorite healthy smoothie recipe. Especially since it is the day after Easter and I ate way too many Starburst Favorite Reds Jelly Beans yesterday (tell me I am not the only one?!?).
Here are the ingredients I typically use and why:
- Milk – gives you protein and is the “base” for the smoothie
- Berries – contain antioxidants that improve brain function and reduce inflammation, vitamin C to boost immunity, and fiber to support digestion. My favorites are strawberries and blueberries.
- Banana – provides a natural sweetness to the smoothie and is full of nutrients such as potassium.
- Avocado – makes the smoothie incredibly creamy and provides you with healthy fats.
- Spinach – full of minerals, vitamins, and phytonutrients. And, you can’t even taste it!
- Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides – did you know that collagen is the most abundant protein in your body? It can help heal your GI tract, improve the elasticity of your skin, get rid of joint pain, and so much more.
- Tera’s Whey Protein Powder – I’ve been using this protein powder for many years to add protein to my diet. It tastes delicious in a smoothie or even mixed into a glass of milk.
What is your favorite smoothie recipe? Do you add ingredients not on my list?